Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Ok. So, I'm not naive. Apparently, I'm simply incompetent. Ok. I'll accept that.

But not without an argument.

I used to walk away from relationships as soon as things got tough. It was difficult maybe, but I did it without hesitation. I wasn't about to take any shit from anyone, or endure an unsatisfying relationship. No. Not I. Not even for a moment.

Then I grew up... or so I thought.

People grow up in different ways. People learn and interpret in different ways. People deduce different thing from their experiences. It's no surprise.

So... when I stopped for a minute... when I finally realized that good things are worth fighting for... I took it as a sign of maturity.

Perhaps I was wrong. Perhaps I still am.

It's not that I believe that I can pull off an eternally casual relationship with an ex. Of course not. I'm not a fucking idiot!

It's just that I know we can't build something from the rubble that's left... at least not quickly. We can't just continue in the rut we were, hoping that some miracle will pull us out. No! Things don't work that way.

But maybe all is not lost. Hell, all is never lost until you think it is. Isn't that so? Maybe we can plant our feet on the ground again. Maybe we can learn to walk. Maybe we can build something different then, knowing now what we have to gain.

Look — I always thought that separations were just a way of gaining distance in order to facilitate a more permanent break-up, a way of easing the process, so to speak. Sure.

But there are also times in which distance is necessary. In which you need to count your losses and accept that as things stand, there is no solution, but perhaps from a different angle, there might be. I don't know.

I do, however, know this.

If I lose Q completely, I will lose be broken. I will move on. I will live. Yes. It won't be the end of the world, or even mine. But I will be broken. I will have lost something irreparable. I will have lost hope. Don't get me wrong. I don't want to be overly dramatic. But... that's just the way it is.

Look — I know I can love someone else. I'm no delusional fool, believe it or not. I will love and even be loved. But... I will not find a more kindred spirit.

I simply will not.

I will not find someone I understand so well.. despite our disagreements. I will not find someone who understands my own indiosyncrasies as well... despite his resentment. (I like to call them idiosyncrasies because it makes me feel less crazy.) I will not find someone whose craziness concurs with mine.

This I know.

And it would be so sad.

And even more sad would be the constant disappointment any new love would see marked across my face.

So, I ask all of you out there judging me one simple question: Should I sit by and simply watch it slip away? Is that what you're suggesting? (Ok. That's two questions. I know.)

I make a rule of refraining from judging people and telling them what to do in a relationship. Perhaps I get this from my father, who always provoked my frustration with his refusal to opine on my life. I don't know. But I'll tell you this. I don't think that anybody has the right to do so. I don't think that we EVER have a clear picture of someone else's losses, of someone else's gains. I don't think we EVER know where the center of balance lies. No. How dare we judge right from wrong? People MUST do what they deem to be right.

I hate sappy shit. But in the end.. all we can do is follow our hearts.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dearest D:

Sorry if I had to ruffle your feathers a bit... but I did get your attention.

Let us start with your ending... "follow your heart"... sure, who can argue against that? But not blindly... or your heart will take you places where you don't want to go... much less stay.

What we need to do is have a meeting with our heart and our brain and we tell them... "you guys need to agree on the destination AND THE ROUTE"... and only then I will follow..."

When I wrote that you were conciously incompetent, I was not referring to your wanting Q back in your life (lets call that "the what". I was talking about your strategy to get him back; namely, the "casual thang" (lets call that "the how").

A "casual thang" will yield a casual relationship. If that is what you want or are willing to settle for with Q... then, by all means, go ahead with it.

But, if as I seem to interpret from your postings and demeanor, you want more (or all) from that relationship... then the "casual thang" is not your ticket. It will sacrifice the long term end goal for the satisfaction of a series of short term needs/wants.

Go back and read the beginning of the Arabian Nights' Tales and the preface to Cuentos de Eva Luna... read about how Scheherazade saved her life and about the request made to Allende of "Cuentame un cuento que nunca antes le hayas contado a nadie". I believe these can much better help you develop a strategy that will lead to your goal...

Because the "thang" is definitely not the "how" that will lead you to your desired "what".

Dulcinea said...

pris, i don't mind my feathers ruffled. it reminds me i care.

Not blindly, no, but sometimes with our eyes closed. That I do believe. Sometimes with our eyes closed, as crazy as that may seem.

Sometimes we just have to cede control. To what? I don't know. But just ceded it.

I am an overly rational person, prislander — I suspect you are as well — and I'm not sure I would like myself as much (which isn't much at times) if I weren't able to be irrational as well.

La Espia T. said...

Why hyper-anazlyze the future constantly? Why not be able to just enjoy the company of someone you enjoy the company of on a day to day basis without constantly torturing yourself with all the hows?

La Espia T. said...

*correction: I meant to say day by day basis.