Thursday, October 19, 2006

A night out with the girls can usually be great fun, but sitting on the sidelines is seldom so.

Me. I'm a sidelines girl. I guess I'm more comfortable there.. in my discomfort. No. I've just gotten used to it, I suppose. You sit on the sidelines so long, you just don't remember how to get in the center.. where the game is.

Amber says that now that she's on a man ban she has more time to focus on her friends. Instead of peering over her shoulder while they're talking, looking for the next handsome man to walk through the door, she actually listens. WoW! What a thought. Maybe I need to spend more time with Amber. I don't know.

On one hand, I need to get out there. I need to play! I need to to get off the sidelines and engage. But... I suck at it now... and it's not a whole lot of fun to sit around and watch your friends hook up, while you sit around listening to their inane banter. And believe you me, it IS inane.

It's hard to believe — the crapass lines we feed each other on a pick up. Does this shit really work? I mean, yes, but only because nobody is listening. The pact has been sealed long before the mouths begin their vomitous feat. Don't say anything intelligent, my friend. Just don't say anything wrong. All is well with the world.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Deidre... or Dulcinea... or just plain D...

Seems to me you are in the process of internalizing that the popular saying "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" is quite true... even if you have just recently skipped over that fence...

Alexis said...

Sometimes it doesn't matter what the fuck is coming out of their mouths, because all you want is a little company for the night.

I know we don't see eye to eye on this particular philosophy nowadays, but somewhere locked inside you is the take-a-chance girl you used to be.

When you and your overnight guest both know exactly why you're there, no one gets hurt. What's the worst that could happen?

Dulcinea said...

Oh, I know, dear. I know. I'm just having a little trouble making the transition.

Anonymous said...

I'm a dedicated Windmills Watcher who's 51, f, and single. Isn't there anything to do in that city other than go to clubs or make inane, biting remarks to your friends? Show us something other than the hipsters' self-obsessed stabs at being cool. Is this ALL you know? Come on, you're young, and privileged, and beautiful; DO something, BE something.

Dulcinea said...

ummm... I'll try...
And you are right. Sorry.. going through a tough time right now. It's easy to lose your place and lose perspective.

Anonymous said...

Take a chance? Sure, I'm all for that... but what Maria is advocating by stating that you don't even need to listen to what comes out of their mouths is tantamount to ensuring that you will end up exchanging fluids with an asshole. At least by listening you have an admitedly slim chance to determine if anybody lives up there... to me that seems like a sound risk management policy...

Jesus, D...!!! Beware of your friends...! They seem to be more dangerous than total strangers... then again... maybe it's that Klingon gene she's got...